Motorbikes & travel insurance

Motorcycles may seem like an easy option, especially in SE Asia where everyone seems to ride one. Do some research about where you are going before you commit to hiring a motorcycle. Consider the time of year you are going as the monsoonal weather conditions make things a challenge. Also think about how confident you would be trying to negotiate your way through chaotic, overcrowded streets. This can be daunting for the experienced motorcycle rider and dangerous for a novice.

The cheap Travel Insuance policy covers you if you are on a motorcycle tour (organised or independent) or if motorcycle riding is incidental to the trip (eg, hiring a motorcycle for the day). You are also covered if you are a passenger on a motorcycle.

References to motorcycles include mopeds, scooters and any other motorised bike.

What's covered?

  • Overseas medical expenses for sudden illness or serious injury when riding a motorcycle
  • Medical evacuation to the nearest facility for treatment
  • Cover for your motorbike helmet and any specialised gear (refer to Section 4, Luggage and Personal Effects for the benefit limits, conditions and exclusions that apply)


  • You need to hold a licence that is valid in the country you are travelling to; and
  • Although it isn’t a compulsory part of the policy, we recommend you wear a helmet to reduce your risk of serious injury. If you are planning to ride a motorcycle when you are away, plan on taking your helmet in case there isn’t one available there.
  • You must obey the road rules of that country.
  • If you are a passenger on a motorcycle then you do not need to have an appropriate operator’s licence.
  • You can check with the consulate of the country you are travelling to before you go to confirm licensing requirements.

The Smartraveller website has information about local travel and advice on overseas road safety. Just look up the country you are travelling to for the 'local travel' advice.


We will not pay for any claims arising from:

  • personal Liability cover (Section 5) is excluded when you are riding a motorcycle, so you will not be covered if you injure someone or cause damage to someone’s property whilst the motorcycle is in your care;
  • also, we do not cover theft of or damage to the motorcycle itself, nor do we cover the insurance excess if you are hiring a motorcycle;
  • racing (except on foot);
  • professional sports ie, you are receiving a wage, salary or appearance fee for training for or participating in the activity;
  • intentionally exposing yourself to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care;
  • any search and rescue expenses;
  • medical expenses in Australia; and
  • a loss that is recoverable by compensation under any workers compensation or transport accident laws or by any government sponsored fund, plan or medical benefit scheme or any other similar legislation.

Please refer to the PDS for the full benefit limits, conditions and exclusions that apply. If you are not sure if your sport or activity is covered please contact our Customer Service team on 1300 617 759 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm or weekends 10am-2pm (AEST).

Get a quote now